The Depot Museum opened its display of the original monument.
A new polymer resin composite replica of the monument was unveiled after being created by Mark Spence of Dothan. In a stroke of good luck, the replica was possible because the mold made by Ken English was still available. The unveiling ceremony was held in conjunction with the Christmas Parade of that year. As theContinue reading “December 15, 1998 • New Replica of Boll Weevil Monument Unveiled During Christmas Parade”
Police found the guilty teenagers, who led the Police to the buried monument parts, which were damaged beyond repair. (The Enterprise Ledger, August 2, 1998)
Vandals tried to take the boll weevil and while doing so ripped off part of the arms of the statue and caused cracks down its back. (The Enterprise Ledger, July 12, 1998)
A plaster of Paris replica of the statue, boll weevil and base, created by Ken English of Elba, stood on the grounds of the Atlanta Georgia Summer Olympics until the fall of 1997; then it was placed in the Enterprise City Hall.
The 75th Anniversary celebration featured music from the Enterprise High School Band and Choir, “The Little Weevil” skit performed by children, speeches, anniversary cake, and presentation of the new 75th Anniversary Boll Weevil Monument Flag. J. Frank McGill, professor of agronomy at the University of Georgia, was the featured speaker. (The Enterprise Ledger, December 11,Continue reading “December 11, 1994 • Boll Weevil Monument 75th Anniversary”
The 70th Anniversary of the Boll Weevil Monument included a re-enactment of the original dedication. Marjorie Bagwell, the Peanut Queen for the 1919 event, and R. O. Fleming, brother of the 1919 Cotton King, were in attendance. The OSCAR Club organized the event. (The Enterprise Ledger, December 10, 1989)
Vandals cracked the neck and arms of the statue; repair was completed without fanfare. (The Enterprise Ledger)
Enterprise, not the Boll Weevil Monument, was being celebrated on the City’s Centennial anniversary; however, the Monument was the center of attention of the downtown festivities. The Lady stood tall above the amusements—from the sublime (music) to the ridiculous (spitting contests)—taking place on the street immediately below her. (The Enterprise Ledger, July 4, 1982)
Mayor G. C. (Don) Donaldson, City Clerk Carl Griffin, Councilmen Billy Bishop and John Lester and staff of the City Engineering Department gathered to officially herald the new additions to the Boll Weevil Monument. There was no public celebration. Improvements, supervised by Griffin, included returning elements that were part of the original monument: a fountainContinue reading “November 6, 1981 • New Improvements Added to Boll Weevil Monument”